Experience, Passion & Personal Attention
Our attorneys have spent more than 35 years passionately and personally advocating for the legal needs of individuals, families and businesses throughout Texas.

What could happen if I fail to pay child support?

On Behalf of | Sep 1, 2017 | Family Law |

Many family law issues can create problems for parents, such as custody battles and divorce-related stress. However, child support can be an especially hard topic for some people to work through, such as those who are unable to pay what they owe and custodial parents who cannot afford to raise their children. In Texas, it is critical for parents who are facing child support challenges to address their circumstances at once.

Many different hardships can arise for parents who fall behind on their child support, such as the garnishment of their wages and arrest. Moreover, parents could have their tax refunds offset for missing child support payments, according to the Internal Revenue Service. For parents who owe back child support, the Bureau of the Fiscal Service may offset some or even all of their tax refund, which could catch a parent by surprise. Furthermore, non-custodial parents should bear in mind that falling behind on child support can lead to stress, social challenges, and even passport problems.

So, what should you do if you cannot pay your child support on time? Depending on your circumstances, different options may be available. For example, you could arrange a payment plan. Or, you might be able to modify your child support order and lower the amount of child support you need to pay. Regardless, you should do what you can to keep yourself from falling behind, since child support delinquency carries harsh consequences. This post does not serve as any kind of legal help.