Fabio & Merrill

Who pays college expenses for a child?

College is an expense that you as a parent usually pay for your children. In a divorce situation, who pays for college can become a complex situation. Unless you made plans in your divorce settlement, you may face some issues when it comes time to pay for your child's postsecondary education in Texas.

According to Forbes, once your child reaches the age of 18, support obligations usually end. This also means that there is no requirement for anyone to pay for your child's college costs. Most often child support orders do not include payment for education past high school graduation.

The best way to ensure education payments is to work it into your divorce settlement. Of course, if you are past that, you may have to go back to court and get a judge to order the other parent to assist with college expenses. You may create a trust or special account for these payments.

In some cases, the court may place a limit on costs. If this happens and your child spends more, then you will need to make some decisions. You may have to pay the extra costs yourself or tell your child he or she has to pay them if you cannot afford them.

When it comes to college, it is always smart to plan ahead regardless of your marital situation. However, you should keep in mind that if your child's other parent pays child support that alone does not obligate him or her to pay for post-secondary education expenses. This information is for education and is not legal advice.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email us for A response

Start Here To Arrange Your Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Our Main Office Location

12 Greenway Plaza, Suite 101 Houston, TX 77046 Toll Free: 866-761-1513 Phone: 713-568-3341 Fax: 713-961-2934 Houston Law Office Map