Experience, Passion & Personal Attention
Our attorneys have spent more than 35 years passionately and personally advocating for the legal needs of individuals, families and businesses throughout Texas.

When and how to refuse court-ordered visitation

On Behalf of | Aug 21, 2020 | Family Law |

A parent in Texas who has a custody or visitation arrangement with the other parent might become concerned about the child and want to stop sending the child for visitation. There are limited circumstances in which a court may view this as appropriate.

Parental concerns

There are a whole range of reasons that could cause you to wonder whether you should continue to send the child for visitation. Your children might become anxious and even cry before and after visiting the parent. You might be concerned that your ex is leaving the children with a new partner instead of spending time with them. If your ex was abusive while you were together or had issues with addiction, you might worry about the child’s safety. On the other hand, it is important that you distinguish genuine safety concerns from preferences, such as disagreeing on the child’s bedtime.

What to do

You might want to consider whether the issue is one you can discuss with your ex and correct, such as an unsafe carseat. If you decide to prevent the children from seeing the other parent, you should be aware the court could hold you in contempt. To get the custody arrangement legally changed, you may need to go to court with documentation. The judge may then determine what action is appropriate.

It may be best to contact an attorney with your concerns to ensure that you understand your legal rights in this situation. You might also avoid some of these conflicts by addressing concerns in a parenting plan that you create during the divorce. For example, parents often set a minimum amount of time that they should be in a relationship before the children meet the new partner. Ultimately, you should try to take the action that will be in the best interests of the child.